Home > Personal > Hey you

Hey you

Alright, geeky people who read this blog. I think I should read a fiction book at least once this year. I have also, throughout my life, completely avoided reading any Science Fiction. Well, I suppose I don’t really know enough about the genre to say that. I assume something like Fahrenheit 451 is close to Science Fiction, right?

This is a monumental task, I know. Suggest a Sci-Fi book I should read. One! My opinion of the entire genre will rest on the book I choose.

Also, if no one responds to this post, I’m going to look silly (it’s like talking to yourself, only the whole world can see you), so bear that in mind and come up with something.

UPDATE: Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll probably be reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Categories: Personal
  1. April 5, 2007 at 4:47 am

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
    The Mote in God’s Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
    Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
    The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein

2. April 5, 2007 at 6:16 am

Nueromancer by William Gibson
    Childhood’s End by Arthur C. Clarke
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    by Greg Bear

See, it’s hard to come up with just one. The genre is as broad as human thought can make it. Where fantasy ultimately falls on the formulaic quest ode, science fiction can create entirely other spheres of thinking, and can quite often be predictive (Dune as political prediction concerning a universe dependent on single resource, Phillip Wylie’s the End of the Dream concerning unknown consequences …).

3. April 5, 2007 at 10:21 am

Heinlein is the consummate science fiction writer, but he’s also not necessarily indicative of the kinds of science fiction available today–he’s much more of an intellectual. I just reviewed The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Certain Bradbury is science fiction, too. Though much of it definitely sits on the cusp: Fahrenheit 451 is more like a dystopian novel than scifi. Walter Miller’s Canticle for Leibowitz is a good one, too, which straddles science fiction and ahistorical dystopian fiction.

From personal experience, I can recommend certain favorites which will likely never make any sort of Top Ten list: Leo Frankowski’s Cross-Time Engineer series, for instance, and Dafydd ab Hugh’s Doom novelization [parts 1, 2, 3 and 4].

I must also admit that I didn’t at all care for Gibson’s Neuromancer, despite it being considered the novel which launched all of cyberpunk–too many absurd rhetorical reductions.

4. April 5, 2007 at 11:48 am

The Bible! It has people walking on water, mean ol’ invisible men, virgins giving birth- it’s zaaaaney!

Ahem.

I have the C.S. Lewis space trilogy if you’re interested, though not likely. My first thought was Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, actually. It’s not exactly true sci-fi, but it does involve aliens and a government cover-up, and has a pyschological element you might like. I’m assuming by now that you’ve completely forgotten the atrocity that was the film adaptation…

And I have Hollow Earth, which is all about how aliens live in the core. It’s supposed to be “true”, but it was written in the 60s. Go figure.

5. April 5, 2007 at 12:51 pm

“Bladerunner” by Phillip K. Dick. Trust me.

6. April 5, 2007 at 7:21 pm

“The Futurological Congress” by Stanislaw Lem
    – besides being a great book, it’s also very short (novella length).

7. April 12, 2007 at 12:57 pm

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a good choice.

I would also advise “The Truth” by Terry Pratchett, which is Fantasy I guess.

Or Count Zero by William Gibson

Or Oath of Fealty by Niven/Barnes (I think).

Or Soldier, Ask Not by Dickson.

There are a lot of good choices.

8. April 16, 2007 at 10:11 pm

-Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy
    -Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    -So Long and Thanks For All the Fish

Those are as close as I have ever came to SF. 😉

9. April 17, 2007 at 5:58 pm

Heh, I forgot to mention that I’ve read all of those.