Home > Religion, Silliness > St. Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day

So, apparently a long time ago this guy named Maewyn Succat heard voices in his head, moved to England, became a priest, changed his name, heard more voices, decided to convert Ireland, performed a few miracles, then died.

We now celebrate this fact by getting as drunk as humanly possible on green beer.

I’m confused.

Categories: Religion, Silliness
  1. March 17, 2006 at 7:53 am

Consider it a Zen thing. Just have a beer and go with it. (Though I would suggest Guiness over green beer of any kind.)

2. Duffy
    March 17, 2006 at 9:07 am

you must not be nearly as irish as i am, because it makes perfect sence to me. oh, yeah, i should tell you that us irish will use any excuse to drink ourselves into a stupor. 🙂

3. rob
    March 18, 2006 at 11:50 am

Newsflash: if you were born in America, you’re a sodding American. Please, please don’t claim to be Irish just because your great-grandma was, it’s embarassing for you and I should imagine insulting to real Irish people.

4. March 21, 2006 at 8:53 pm

Ok while this may piss Wulfgar off, but I am a very proud Irish Butte girl (my mom is 100% but my dad screwed it all up)— anyway the drinking part of St. Pats is an Irish-American tradition and NOT a part of the holiday as intended in Ireland. If one were to go to Dublin on March 17th they would go to Church and then be able to eat meat even though its lent. St. Pats as we know it was started by Irish immigrants in America who wanted some way to celebrate their culture that others would partake in (ie drinking!). So that is the explanation as I know it, and how it is explained in my home town. I hope it clears something up!

5. March 21, 2006 at 9:27 pm