Home > Social issues > I have a question

I have a question

I haven’t commented on anything from Agape Press in a while, so here we go. They mention a survey from the CDC on homosexual activity:

(AgapePress) – According to a new report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more women are experimenting with homosexual activity.

The report was based on data collected in 2002 in the National Survey of Family Growth. It found 11 percent of women said they had had a sexual experience with another woman. That is compared to 4 percent of women who said the same thing in a 1992 survey.

Younger women, however, were even more likely to experiment with homosexuality. According to an article in the Washington Post, 14 percent of women in their late teens and 20s claimed to have had a same-sex experience.

They go on to attribute that to it being “hip.” So far, nothing wrong. They end with this:

However, when it came to self-identifying as homosexual, the percentages of the U.S. population that appear to be homosexual was as small as in other surveys — only 2-3 percent, according to the CDC study.

Doesn’t this conflict with all the comments made by the AFA and Agape about homosexuals converting kids to their sexual orientation? I mean, if we all have “sinful hearts,” gay sex ought to be awfully enticing.

Plus, with the declining morality of American youths (what else could increasing experimentation imply?), gay sex is really the only conceivable bulwark against the mass conversions embracing our sinful hearts must lead to. Yet, the increase in experimentation indicates decreasing revulsion in this area and no corresponding increase in actual homosexuals.

It seems to me the AFA has some thinking to do.

That seems unlikely, of course.

Categories: Social issues
  1. ben
    January 11, 2006 at 8:59 pm

It also contributes strongly to the belief that homosexuality is not gentetic, or “something you are born with”, but rather a conscious choice made by an informed individual. Not all the time, mind, but eleven to fourteen percent is sure to raise reasonable doubt in the “nature versus nurture” argument.

2. January 12, 2006 at 12:12 am

I don’t think so, seeing as the experimentation isn’t having an effect on the number of homosexuals in the country. If it’s any sort of choice, we’d see at least a small rise in self-identification.

3. ben
    January 13, 2006 at 10:00 am

Well… kind of… I guess I agree with you for the most part, but even if you don’t choose to claim homosexuality, or to be identified with it, and you are engaged in homosexual activity, then what exactly are you. Temporarily gay? Or human sexuality doesn’t actually have any sort of standard, either on one side or the other? I don’t know.

4. January 13, 2006 at 1:22 pm

I would say they’re exactly what the survey said: experimenting. There are plenty of reasons I can imagine for doing so without actually being gay: peer-pressure, attention, lure of a taboo activity, simple curiousity, etc. It doesn’t seem like humans are polarized into two extremes: gay and straight. Some people might be more apt to try, but not actually engage in it with any sort of consistency.

5. ben
    January 15, 2006 at 7:12 pm

Ahh, right you are. Fogive my densenesses, I have mono, am really tired, and I am thus not thinking perfectly straight.
    Excellent point, from a neutral standpoint and everything! Otherwise the belief is often “gayness is sin, so is murder. You don’t experiment with murder, now do you?” Does God weigh things like that?

6. July 22, 2006 at 3:28 pm