Home > Skepticism > I seem to have been wrong

I seem to have been wrong

September 9, 2005 Leave a comment Go to comments

The Exorcism of Emily Rose is apparently not just another silly supernatural movie like Amityville. AgapePress says this:

Raising questions is what The Exorcism of Emily Rose does best. The film is based very loosely on the true story of a young Bavarian university student, Anneliese Michel, who endured an exorcism in the mid-1970s spanning 10 months which ended in her death. The priests who performed the exorcism were arrested for negligent manslaughter and placed on trial. Emily Rose uses the courtroom as a framing device and reveals the story in flashbacks which are truly frightening. The dramatization the audience sees depends upon who is on the stand at the time. When believers for the defense tell the tale, Emily is shown as a woman initially beset, and then possessed, by demons. When skeptics testify, the same scenes are shown but now Emily is a victim of epilepsy and psychotic delusions. Little effort is made in the film to sort out fact from fiction — viewers are placed in the role of the jury; we are left to decide the truth for ourselves.

That’s interesting.

Categories: Skepticism
  1. S4R
    September 10, 2005 at 1:13 pm

I suppose it’s a more admirable approach than other films of its kind, but demonic possession doesn’t deserve a place on the table in the first place. But I digress, it’s a film.

2. rob
    September 10, 2005 at 4:00 pm

I dunno, sounds pretty cool to me. Viewing the story from the points of view of the different witnesses seems like a novel idea.

3. Joe Tomasino
    September 12, 2005 at 8:31 pm

Heres the thing I thought it was a good movie, drawn out yet still interesting. I want to know the true facts of the exorcism. and I cant find them.

4. September 12, 2005 at 9:31 pm

I saw it tonight, and unfortunately your first instincts were closer to my impression, Jeff. A bunch of supernatural stuff happens to the priest’s defense attorney outside of the courtroom setting, thereby making her believe and presenting the audience with phenomena that can’t be explained away the way the prosecutor explains away Emily’s actions. The audience is meant to sympathize with the priest et al.

5. Jacob Guinn
    September 16, 2005 at 9:45 pm

I just saw the movie. I was very impressed withe the storyline. But the fact is, I personaly would want to hear to real facts of the trial. I have always been interested in Roman Cath. belief, and would like to hear the real story.

6. Mai
    November 30, 2005 at 1:56 am

I saw the movie yesterday.Now showing in Thailand for a few weeks. After watching movie, I can’t stop searching the info. I wanna see her real picture after the exorcism. And want to know her body is rotten or not.