Home > Religion > Atheist media strikes again

Atheist media strikes again

Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

NEW YORK Dec 9, 2004 — A British philosophy professor who has been a leading champion of atheism for more than a half-century has changed his mind. He now believes in God more or less based on scientific evidence, and says so on a video released Thursday.

At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe. A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone interview from England.

Flew said he’s best labeled a deist like Thomas Jefferson, whose God was not actively involved in people’s lives.

“I’m thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins,” he said. “It could be a person in the sense of a being that has intelligence and a purpose, I suppose.”

It’s a dastardly plot to trick us into thinking the press isn’t atheist, then they can continue with their denigration of Christianity unabated!

In any case, I hadn’t heard of Anthony Flew until a couple weeks ago. I’m not a well-rounded atheist.

Categories: Religion
  1. December 9, 2004 at 8:26 pm

Must make John Miller mad.

2. December 10, 2004 at 12:14 am

One Flew… over the cuckoo’s nest.

Scientific evidence? Oh, (expletive deleted)! I’m more or less a deist myself… UU, in today’s terms… but that has nothing to do with my understanding of the origins of life from a scientific perspective. I always worry about people whose religion requires scientific underpinnings, or requires challenging science for mythological reason. Like the late, great Stephen Jay Gould, I am content to allow my religion to be completely separate from science.

And for what it’s worth, complexity most certainly can emerge from simple origins. But perhaps Flew, at 81, has never heard of chaos theory. There’s plenty of complexity in the universe, explainable in scientific terms, without introducing divine forces.

Ockham must be turning in his grave…

3. December 10, 2004 at 4:10 am

When you’re 81 and getting close to shuffling off this mortal coil, you start looking for loopholes.

4. December 10, 2004 at 6:40 am

Mustang Bobby is spot on. Hey, where’s my buy one life, get one free coupon?

5. December 10, 2004 at 12:35 pm

Well, just to point out, he still doesn’t believe in an afterlife.

6. S4R