Home > Blogging > Go me

Go me

It seems that as of a few days ago, I’ve been spouting off on here for five years. 1,940 posts and 2,450+ comments so far.

Let’s say the average post takes 15 minutes to compose. That’s 485 hours. 20.2 days. Nearly three weeks. Add in 522 comments at 5 minutes apiece and you have another 43.5 hours. So let’s call it 23 days.

23 days of my life I have spent writing to no one in particular. Occasionally people read what I write, but there’s no guarantee. When those few people make themselves known, half the time I argue with them (often rather impolitely).

Shouldn’t this be a mental disorder or something?

Categories: Blogging
  1. May 4, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Every time I see myself as the second-most frequent commenter, I’m a little surprised, as it always seems like I comment less frequently than I should.

I think most blogging, outside of the commercial sort, ends up being an exercise in either vanity or self-improvement, or perhaps both simultaneously.

2. May 4, 2008 at 7:10 pm

5 minutes a comment? Your giving us too much credit.

3. May 4, 2008 at 8:15 pm

There was a period when you commented on nearly every post I made. I think you’re still riding that wave.

4. May 4, 2008 at 8:49 pm

His comments Shane, not ours…

Check out the upper right to get his number. His comments tend to be pretty verbose.

5. May 5, 2008 at 7:54 am

You clearly have a lot to say, a good mind, and ability to speak clearly. Prior to blogs, your outlets might have been letters to the editor, radio talk shows, or more mundane fare like book clubs. The only speaking out to be done was by journalists and others with access to op-ed columns who valued their own opinion so highly that they rarely deigned to responkd to criticism. It was moribund.

Blogs gives you an outlet. Speaking of it as a “mental disorder” belittles an honorable calling – it is not for nothing that we do this – it is to inflame, enlighten, and it offers catharsis. Light comes from friction and heat.

6. May 5, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Not into any navel-gazing right this second, but I did want to say, Congrats, Jeff. 5 Good Years.

7. May 5, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I was just joking. I enjoy it and think blogging can serve a useful purpose, it just seems silly occasionally.

8. Jay Stevens
    May 6, 2008 at 9:26 am

Friggin’ brilliant post. I agree whole-heartedly…it does seem silly occasionally…often?

9. Jay Stevens
    May 6, 2008 at 9:27 am

BTW, I’m shocked I’ve commented here less than 43 times…that doesn’t seem like very many comments…but maybe I’m just mistaking the voices in my head for comments that I think I’ve left…

10. Kyle
    May 6, 2008 at 4:49 pm

Blogs are Catharsis.. back in the day I owned/co-owned catharsis.org for art and blogs.
    And back in the day when you were just starting this thing I read it regularly. Now I work for an ultra-liberal labor union.. I blame you!

11. Fate
    May 6, 2008 at 4:54 pm

I guess I better reply as Fate so that I can maintain my spot as a top commenter!