Home > Religion > Quote of the day

Quote of the day

November 27, 2007 Leave a comment Go to comments

From here:

Note that I’m also not asking why God need not exist–ie the “the universe works fine on its own” argument. I concede there is no need for God to exist; I want to know why God does not exist.

I think you might need to rethink your question there, skippy.

In other news, my invisible pink unicorn has gone missing.

(via Balloon Juice)

Categories: Religion
  1. November 27, 2007 at 8:45 pm

I prefer the Teapot.

(btw, the link button in your quicktags is broken)

2. November 27, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Goddammit, of course I find the Wikipedia link _after_ I comment.

3. November 28, 2007 at 11:46 am

The problem with the Teapot is that it makes me really sad. Really really sad.

4. November 28, 2007 at 11:47 am

Goddammit, of course I find the Wikipedia link _after_ I comment.

Oh, and don’t you mean ‘Sciencedammit’ ?

5. November 28, 2007 at 7:37 pm

Why does it make you sad? I get a little buzz when I think of the first time I accepted the idea that there may not be a God – it introduced me to the concept of freethought, and I do mean free, and that is what is really fulfilling. I don’t need to depend on men in girly vestments with penis-shaped hats to tell me what to think. Life is good.

6. November 28, 2007 at 8:50 pm

On the other hand, we don’t get to wear those penis-shaped hats. Sacrifices must be made, I guess.

7. November 28, 2007 at 11:57 pm

Ahh Mark, you misread me. That is ok, I have found that you are apt to do so. The thing about the teapot that makes me sad is that it is true and that it speaks volumes about the human condition. So many are willing to accept the equivalent of the teapot floating around the solar system and base not only their lives on it, but make claims that my rights are based off their teapot God.

That really isn’t OK, and it makes me sad that is the place I find myself. I’ll leave you with this:

You can’t convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it’s based on a deep seated need to believe. [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985]

And

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. it is simply too painful to acknowledge — even to ourselves — that we’ve been so credulous. (So the old bamboozles tend to persist as the new bamboozles rise.) [Carl Sagan, The Fine Art of Baloney Detection]

8. November 29, 2007 at 6:47 pm

OK – I often misread you.