Home > 2008 elections > Crazy Christians for a Mormon

Crazy Christians for a Mormon

The chancellor of Bob Jones University has endorsed Mitt Romney.

Is it over now? Romney’s problem up until now has been whether he’ll get the support of the religious Right, seeing as it’s really the Christian Right. If someone like Bob Jones III can endorse him, I would think most of the Christian Right can get behind him.

I can’t decide whether this is a good or bad thing. The other leading contender is Guiliani, who’d be ridiculously bad on civil liberties and foreign policy, but probably wouldn’t piss me off on social issues. Romney will piss me off on social issues and foreign policy-wise he’s probably just as bad as Guiliani. Then again, maybe not.

Guiliani is the preferred candidate of Christopher Hitchens, by the way. That’s not surprising, but damn it’s disappointing.

Categories: 2008 elections
  1. October 17, 2007 at 12:30 am

Of all ‘values’ in the ‘values’ voters, none usurps abortion. The fact is that Romney is more willing than Guiliani to play up on that issue. He played a different tune in Mass, but what the hell are you going to do?

My brother went to Bob Jones university. They was too much nut-jobbery there even for him.

2. October 17, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Guiliani is a daddy figure for those who were traumatized by 9/11. I think, given Hitchens’ move to the right after that date, his support for the invasion and his belligerent attitude about Arabs, that he might have been traumatized. Hence, his support for Guiliani. Is that a syllogism?

3. October 17, 2007 at 5:40 pm

That is disappointing. Despite his stance on the Iraq War, I respect Hitchens. Did he give any reasons why he’s supporting Giuliani?

4. October 17, 2007 at 6:31 pm

I think Mark’s got it, Rebecca. He essentially wants to see Islam eradicated and by force. Guiliani does appear to be the most extreme in that regard, but doesn’t appear to be that religious or socially conservative.

5. October 18, 2007 at 5:09 pm

I know everyone’s moved on to bigger and better things, but since we’re discussing Rudy I wanted to share this priceless quote about him I just found elsewhere on the Internets:

That guy eats power for breakfast and shits crazy in the afternoon.

1. October 19, 2007 at 7:15 am