Home > The Right > Islamofascism

Islamofascism

About that term. It’s really nice to see the right co-opting the far left’s inaccurate use of the term as a general pejorative for any sort of anti-liberal policy and adding a dash of clash of civilizations rhetoric. I can’t think of anything more useful.

Categories: The Right
  1. September 1, 2006 at 1:27 pm

I had a theology teacher tell me that Europe would be an “Islamofascist state” within a few decades because of the declining Caucasian birth rate.

2. September 2, 2006 at 9:30 pm

Actually Jeff, the etymology of the term “Islamofascism” dates back 10 or 15 years. If memory serves, which is questionable I suppose, it has been used since the early ’90′s to discribe countries that have imposed Sharia law with complete state sanction – such as Iran, many provinces of Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc.

Although it is misused by m!ny now (as is the term neocon as a general pejorative), I think it has somewhat better historical underpinnings than how the far-left uses the word fasciest.

I prefer to use the term “fundamentalist Islamist” since it’s more specific to the religious movement that embraces Sharia law. But I don’t think the “right” has co-opted the term inasfar as Christopher Hitchens (no right wing lacky regardless of his view of the Islamist threat) has used the term for several years. I think instead they are simply borrwoing and abusing it to the point of meaninglessness.

3. S4R
    September 2, 2006 at 10:15 pm

I’m getting tired of “sectarian violence.” It’s about as grotesque as doublespeak gets.

4. September 2, 2006 at 11:30 pm

The only thing I think the right’s use of Islamofascism has over the far left’s use of fascism is that one of the targets is actually oppressive on the scale of fascism. That could change, of course. Still, we have a perfectly good term for this: theocracy. Then again, Islamocracy doesn’t really have the same ring to it, which is probably why Hitchens didn’t use it.

I am curious about what the difference is between “co-opting” and “borrowing.” I was using them essentially the same way and wasn’t trying to imply anything about the origin of the phrase.

5. rob
    September 3, 2006 at 7:34 am

I’ve always taken “co-opt” to be a pejorative, similar to “hijack”. I know it essentially means assimilation and borrowing but it’s rarely used in a positive sense.

6. September 4, 2006 at 7:59 am

“islamic fascism” or “islamofascist” is simply not accurate.

“fascism” is more than a run-of-the-mill dictatorship. it’s a dictatorship where everything in the society is required to advance the interest of the nation (often defined on racial terms) as personified in a single leader

what bin laden views fascism as a form of idolitry. that was his problem with saddam hussein (who was more like a fascist than the islamic fundamentalists are). bin laden believes that nations are secondary to god. thee purpose of society is to actualize the will of god. any other ideology (democracy) implicitly puts its own values higher than god. and that is a form of idolitry.

the word for what bin laden believes in is theocracy. it’s really quite different than fascism. just as communism is different than fascism even though both produce dictatorships.

the only reason that “fascism” is a popular label is because it allows bush or his followers to link the current conflict to WW2, “the good war.” the last war that pretty much everyone agrees was a conflict fought for the right reason. every conflict since then has been a lot more controversial, so comparisons with hitler, nazis, or fascism is too useful to pass up. even though it’s not really all that accurate