Home > Religion > Stupid letters

Stupid letters

Well, the Missoulian published a pretty stupid letter today. On the plus side, it’s very short. On the minus side, it’s not particularly crazy or interesting. Here it is:

Freedom of expression goes both ways

It is said that 86 percent of Americans believe in God. Therefore, it is very hard to understand why there is such a mess about having the Ten Commandments on display or “In God We Trust” on our money and having God in the Pledge of Allegiance.

We should just tell the other 14 percent to sit down and be quiet! It’s also our freedom of expression.

That’s a pretty common argument. Of course, it’s ridiculous. Does it really need to be explained that minorities have rights in this country and that having the state endorse your beliefs has nothing to do with freedom of expression?

Categories: Religion
  1. May 30, 2005 at 5:54 pm

Aye carumba — people like that almost frighten me.

2. May 31, 2005 at 10:19 am

Ha! Ha ha!

3. Jerry
    June 1, 2005 at 7:22 am

What exactly, is different about secularists trying to ram their beliefs down the throats of the religionists?

4. June 1, 2005 at 3:30 pm

You’ll have to point out where secularists are attempting to use the government to force their beliefs on people, Jerry.

5. Jerry
    June 1, 2005 at 8:34 pm

Gee Jeff…let me think a minute..hmmm..the courts maybe? But you knew that right? No Ten Commandments on public ground etc. Now please point out to
    me where the religionists are using government to do the same.

6. June 1, 2005 at 11:36 pm

When did neutrality in spaces owned by all of us become shoving a viewpoint down someone’s throat? I think I missed the meeting where that was decided to be a logical argument.

7. June 2, 2005 at 12:20 am

*buzz* Sorry, Jerry, wrong answers. People are free to put up a statue of the 10 commandments, or a brass bible, or allah in a manger, ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY or in their duly designated place of worship. That’s what a church is for, isn’t it – to offer prayer and evidence of faith to the god of your choosing in said god’s “house.” But a courthouse — sorry, that’s not a place of religion, it’s a place of law — laws created by man, enforced by man, etc.

8. Jerry
    June 2, 2005 at 6:20 pm

Wrong David…our laws are based on the Ten Commandments…so what’s wrong with having them visible in a house that belongs to the people? I’m not even a Christian…when I read the Commandments I just see good common sense rules. Besides which…there is no amemdment against religion…there is now wall between it and government…there is one against a State religion.
    Jeff…do you mean to tell me that merely by having the Ten Commandments visible in a public place is shoving it down your throat? You’re just a little to sensitive aren’t you? I just think it’s much ado about nothing.

9. June 2, 2005 at 7:54 pm

our laws are based on the Ten Commandments

Really? Do I need to go through them one by one to point out that we have laws coinciding with about 3 of them? The ones that also happen to be paralleled in nearly every other religion or culture?

Assuming you meant “no wall,” do I really need to quote Jefferson? Come on. All you have to do is read the clause. There’s no respecting an establisment of religion. Respecting is certainly a lot broader than creating or something along the lines you’re suggesting.

Hmmm, let’s see…nope, I don’t believe I said that. It is, however, a basic violation of the separation of church and state, a violation of the first amendment. I would say that violations of the Bill of Rights are fairly serious, wouldn’t you?