Home > 2004 election cycle > The definition of a sore loser

The definition of a sore loser

Alan Keyes, paragon of moral virtue:

“I’m supposed to make a call that represents the congratulations toward the triumph of that which I believe ultimately stands for and will stand for a culture evil enough to destroy the very soul and heart of my country,” Keyes said. “I can’t do this, and I will not make a false gesture.”

Wouldn’t really the end of the election without a final outburst from Mr.Keyes, would it?

Categories: 2004 election cycle
  1. S4R
    November 5, 2004 at 12:23 pm

I can laugh off Keyes insane ramblings, but I can’t laugh away a man like him being on a ballot for U.S. Senate.

2. Andy
    November 5, 2004 at 12:48 pm

“…the triumph of that which I believe ultimately stands for and will stand for a culture evil enough to destroy the very soul and heart of my country…”

That sounds a lot like what left-wingers say about Bush. So what is the problem? That he won’t make a phone call? Sure, it’s petulant, but Michael Moore, Greg Palast, et al, don’t really strike me as mature in the defense of *their* principles, and they are defended.

Oh, that’s right. The difference is that they are liberal.

3. November 5, 2004 at 6:34 pm

I don’t normally read anything Michael Moore or Greg Palast write (I’ve read Palast’s book, though), so I have no idea what they’ve said. You’re assuming I would defend them if they said something similar, which I wouldn’t. Plus, this guy was an actual candidate. I tend to hold political candidates to a higher standard than some polemicist I rarely read.

4. November 6, 2004 at 4:03 am

At least he’s being honest, and with that being such a rare thing in Illinois politics I’ll take it.

And at the percentages he lost with, it’s not exactly like there is a question about who won.

5. November 7, 2004 at 3:18 am

If nothing else, Keyes has the courage of his convictions…I admire him for not playing by the Protocol Handbook on something as superficial as a phone call.

1. November 5, 2004 at 11:19 am