Home > 2004 election cycle > Post-Debate

Post-Debate

September 30, 2004 Leave a comment Go to comments

I didn’t get to watch, just listen. My admittedly biased analysis is that Kerry did pretty well. Bush sounded a little whiny and defensive throughout. People keep saying that Bush’s facial expressions were annoyed and defensive, which sounds right, though I didn’t see it. Kerry was pretty good in countering Bush’s Iraq flip-flop charges. I think he was hurt when Lehrer asked him about the mistake line. But Kerry nailed Bush when he conflated Iraq and 9/11 again.

Sadly, the most important part is just beginning – the post-debate spin. I don’t know if Kerry will jump in the polls. I think he did well enough to, but as I said, I’m too biased to make a good judgement.

UPDATE: Oh yeah, as Kevin notes, Moo-laws?

Categories: 2004 election cycle
  1. September 30, 2004 at 9:01 pm | #1

I got to watch the closing arguments and some of the post-debate coverage on CNN with my girlfriend and her parents (registered Democrats). There was no silver bullet from Kerry, but I think he marginally outperformed Bush, who tended to slouch over his podium and speak in circles.

2. September 30, 2004 at 9:03 pm | #2

Also, Bush’s “mountains and valleys” metaphors seemed a bit overtly religious. Kerry’s final “God bless America” sounded forced. Too bad America will never elect an admitted atheist to the presidency.

3. September 30, 2004 at 9:31 pm | #3

And I think kinda silly as well. We can see a peaceful world? What the hell?

4. Thcompman
    September 30, 2004 at 10:06 pm | #4

Without a doubt John Kerry Won the Debate tonight

Kerry has got my vote

5. JoseCanseco
    September 30, 2004 at 11:19 pm | #5

To keep it in perspective, here are the notes Bush kept taking during the debate:

1. October 1, 2004 at 1:22 pm | #1